Friday, December 15, 2017

Christmas Gifts: Want, Need, Wear, & Read

I love Christmas and I love keeping Christmas simple. 
I know I've said this in previous posts but simple does not mean less special. It means feeling the magic and remembering what's actually important...the true meaning of Christmas, spending time with your family & friends, and making beautiful memories. 
Years ago when I was teaching, I came across an awesome idea that I knew I wanted to incorporate into our home one day...a simpler gift giving idea. 
Instead of a stack of gifts...each child receives 4 presents Christmas morning...one they want, one they need, one thing to wear, and one thing to read. AND...Santa brings each child a large gift and fills their stockings. 
It’s so simple. So meaningful. So perfect for us.
  • Something you WANT: this is a fun gift. Something they asked for...or something you know will bring a HUGE smile to their face. For us...it's a toy. 

  • Something you NEED: this is something that your child needs...whatever that may be. It could be shoes, dishes, towels, bathing suit. We do shoes.  
  •  
  • Something to WEAR: This can be clothing, accessories, hats, shoes, backpack, etc. We are doing robes.  

  • Something to READ: this is always my favorite...books! I try to find interactive books that go with what they are into right now. Usborne has a FABULOUS selection of interactive and engaging books. 

I love how this method of gift giving brings a sense of intention...each gift is incredibly thoughtful, since you are only getting 4! There aren't any random things or trinkets you buy just because you need to get something. 
We want our little sugar plums to focus more on all of the joy and magic of the holiday season....not just the gifts.
In the wise words of Charlie Brown, "It's not what's under the Christmas tree that matters. It's who's around it."
❤️
In keeping with my December Christmas Song theme...closing with "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas!" This is a family favorite and pairs perfectly with the idea of simple gift giving. 😂 Jk. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© #Vidovich Adventures. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE HANDMADE BY pipdig