Thursday, March 12, 2015

Rice Cereal, Sweet Potatoes, & Avocado...Oh my!

About a week before Drew turned 5 months old, I freaked, "Oh no...time to start solids and I have no clue what I am doing!" I remember thinking I had plenty of time to figure out whether I'd make my own or buy baby food...where the heck did that time go?! I swear there were months left to decide! Welp...with a week to figure it out, I did what any mom would do...I googled it!

I began reading mom blogs, articles, and asking my mom friends. After a couple of nights of staying up way too late, reading every chance I got (which was usually while I was nursing, on the toilet, or in bed when I should have been sleeping) and obsessing about what I'd do, I came across a post that didn't preach about the health benefits but rather pointed out the financial benefit of making your own baby food (see post here) and it sold me. Not that I don't care about the health benefits of homemade baby food, I just honestly figured there are organic store bought options! I never realized how expensive store bought organic baby food is. So I began my mission...HOMEMADE ORGANIC BABY FOOD MOMMA!

After much research, I purchased a Baby Brezza and Sage Spoonfuls Glass Jars. Best investment ever! I was definitely very excited about making Drew's baby food but truth be told, I worried it'd be a hassle and I'd end up quitting.

The Baby Brezza made it soooooo easy. Seriously. The Brezza not only steams the veggies/fruits but puree's them so in 15 minutes, I have homemade organic baby food.

My schedule for the first 20 days:
Days 1-4: Earth's Best Organic Oatmeal Cereal (mixed 1oz breast milk with 2tbs of cereal)
Days 5-8: Organic Sweet Potato (2 Medium sized Sweet Potatos + 3oz of breast milk)
Days 9-12: Organic Avocado (2 Avocados + 3oz of breast milk)
Days 13-16: Bananas (2 Bananas + 3oz of breast milk)
Days 17-20: Organic Carrots (3 Carrots + 4oz breast milk)

Here's how I do it (Carrots):
Step 1:  Peel and cut carrots into 1/3
Step 2: Place it in the Baby Brezza, press "Steam & Blend" for 15 minutes, add in 4oz of breast milk, blend until milk is mixed in (can totally be done without a Baby Brezza...regular old blender or food processor works just fine)!
Step 3: Pour Puree into Sage Spoonful Glass jars, label, and put in the freezer. Voila!
*For serving, I usually take out what I need at night for the following day and by morning they are ready to go! To heat them before serving, I usually boil water and let the jar sit in the water until it's warmed.




Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Drew has loved everything I've made so far and I'm not gonna lie...I have tasted every single one and can't complain! Delicious!




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© #Vidovich Adventures. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE HANDMADE BY pipdig